After years of chasing the missing pages from a report he helped author, former senator Bob Graham seems to have hit a dead end.
The deadline a White House official gave him has come and gone. An official, who had been corresponding with Graham—whose name he did not disclose—is no longer returning his phone calls.
In an interview with the Daily Beast, he expressed his frustration at the White House reneging on a promised April 12 deadline, but said he was undeterred and was preparing a PR strategy just in case the pages were released.
For years, Graham has been pushing the administration to declassify 28 pages of a report he helped write when he co-chaired the congressional joint inquiry into the 9/11 attacks, and that he believes contains information the public has a right to know about foreign assistance, mainly from Saudi Arabia, to the hijackers.
The rest of the 832-page report was made public in December 2002, and for the last several years, Graham has doggedly pursued whatever avenues he could to force the release of the remaining 28 pages.
Asked if he is confident the pages will be released by September 11, the 15th anniversary of the attacks, he said, “No,“ citing the delay by the White House. “I’m not going to put my money on any date until it happens.”
Even so, he is working with 9/11 survivor Sharon Premoli to line up a public relations team to counter what he anticipates will be a well-funded campaign by the Saudi government to discredit the 28 pages when they become public.